Nice to Meet You
What are the kinds of questions you ask when meeting someone for the first time? Would you ask different questions depending on the age, social status, and gender of the person to whom you are speaking? Write down your ideas before you listen to the conversation.
Listen and Answer
Listen to the conversation and answer the questions.
1. Where does this conversation most likely take place?
2. What is the girl’s name?
3. Where does the girl probably live now?
4. What does the girl’s father do for a living?
5. What is one thing NOT mentioned about the girl’s family?
1. at a school
3. in the United States
4. He is a professor.
5. why her parents lived in England for several years
When you meet new world friends, try using expressions like “Oh really?”, “How interesting!” or “No kidding!” in a genuine way to show you are interested in them.
People say hello and greet one another differently throughout the world. Some shake hands and others hug each other. Use the Internet to search for information about how people greet each other in two different countries. What words are said or exchanged? What do people do during this greeting? Then discuss which of them you prefer to do in order? why?
Use the following links: